Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 9

    Northam

    May 16, 2017 in Australia ⋅ 🌙 15 °C

    Left Kalgoolie @ 7.30am and 14 deg but sunny. Checked local weather forecast as we left -complements of Bryce at our caravan park -(see pic) On our way to Northam, the road runs close to the Golden Pipeline that supplies water to Kalgoolie from Perth. Scrubby country before Southern Cross soon opens up to flatter cropping land mingled with areas of scrub and small eucalypts.
    Getting a little tired of continual rises and long straight stretches ahead to greet us !!
    No livestock to be seen in surrounding paddocks.
    We passed the historic site of what was the rabbit proof fence- remnants of which remain on display. This fence stretched some 1837 km-from Esperance to Port Hedland.
    The last part of our days drive we entered the area known as the wheat belt-with evidence of stubble, some emerging crop and dry sowing. The road side eucalyptus are now taller and more substantial than we had seen for days . As we neared our overnight stay at the town of Northam , we saw some mobs of sheep in surrounding paddocks.
    On the way we were accompanied by the large pipeline from Perth to Kalgoolie
    We were met at our overnight caravan park by a beautiful chocolate Labrador obviously waiting to be helpful .
    Read more