Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 29

    Broome

    June 5, 2017 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 29 °C

    We arrived in Broome, the unofficial capital of the Kimberley, in the PM of Sunday with the plan to set up camp and then call in to see Jan and her husband Dave . Jan did her nursing training with Angela 40 years ago. After meeting up with Jan and Dave we took a short walk across the dunes to meet up with a few of their neighbours to share a drink and watch the beautiful sunset. We were then treated to a magnificent evening meal at Jan and Dave's beautiful home. Jan organised to take us up the coast the next afternoon.
    We made plans of other attractions to see over the next few days. These included the usual first stop at the local visitors center, a stroll through old Chinatown, a visit to the very famous Cable Beach, a wander through the town's centre and a look at the pearl showrooms. We planned a movie night at the outdoor Sun Pictures - this outdoor cinema opened in 1916, and is the oldest operating outdoor picture garden in the world. We planned a visit to Matso's brewery where we could sample some of their award winning beers including an alcoholic ginger beer. We took a drive to Bedford park which overlooks spectacular Roebuck bay and saw a replica of a chest that belonged to William Dampier.
    Read more