Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 34

    Tunnel Creek

    June 10, 2017 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 18 °C

    About 35 Kms from Windhana Gorge is Tunnel creek. This park offers a unique opportunity to explore a creek with permanent pools of fresh water as it tunnels 750 meters through the Napier Range. In the Dry, the full length is walkable, but parts are of knee deep water. With the only light being your touch light, mixed with the sound of the local bats was enough for Ange to make the easy decision to be happy with a walk as far as we could see daylight and the water not too deep.
    Tunnel Creek became the hideout of Jandamarra, an Indigenous freedom fighter. He was a Bunuba man living in the remote Northwest Kimberley. He was nicknamed " Pigeon " for his speed and agility by William Lukin, who claimed title to a million acres of Bunuba Land he called the Lennard River Station. Jandamarra learned how to ride horses, use a rifle and speak English giving him skills in both cultures. For more than a decade, Jandamarra's people had been resisting white pastoralist invasion of their lands. Torn between cultures Jandamarra chose to side with his own. Indigenous people were treated poorly with great pain and suffering, imprisoned ,kept in scorching summer heat and chained together by neck collars after being accused of raiding stock or simply being on pastoral land- what was their country .You can one day look up the tragic story of Jandamarra and his people and then sit and think of the inhumanity the indigenous people endured. The legacy of Jandamarrra is the challenge for us to achieve co -existence of indigenous people and those who choose to come to this land.
    Read more