Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 9

    Southern Tasmania

    October 31, 2017 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 13 °C

    The South of Tasmania is made up of four unique regions, Bruny island, D'Entrecasteaux Channel, Huon Valley and the Far South.
    We made a stop at Margate to stock up at a Tasmanian owned and operated produce store which carried an extensive range of goods.
    We followed the D'Entrecasteaux Channel southward and passed the car ferry terminal for Bruny Island.
    We drove southward hugging the coast and stopped to admire little coves, bays, small hamlets and the Huon River.
    Along the coast and along the river we enjoyed the sight of many different boats and yachts , such a gorgeous site to behold.
    We lunched at Huonville, watched some colourful ducks swimming on the Huon River, and took delight in the wood carvings which were carved from the stump of trees that had been planted in remembrance of the local soldiers who fought in the Boer War. The trees had been planted in 1902 and 100 years later, at the end of a safe life for the trees several carvings were made from the stumps. The Apple Picker -in the photo is dedicated to the pioneer women of the Huon Valley.
    On our return trip from the Airwalk we stopped at a roadside shop selling bags of Rubigold Apple's-after tasting the crisp apple that had a perfect balance of sugar and acid we went back and bought a second bag-that's on top of the 1kg bag of Jazz apple's from the morning shop -3kgs of apples for us to devour over the following few days yummie - !!!
    The Huon Valley is dotted with sheep, cattle and apples and is so green -such a beautiful place to visit.
    Read more