Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 3

    Coonawarra

    March 4, 2018 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 17 °C

    Coonawarra - Australia's red wine centre can be found several minutes from Penola. Taking its name from the Aboriginal word "honeysuckle" it is a famous strip of rich, red terra rossa soil sitting atop deep limestone beds has given rise to many of the nation's finest drops, with a worldwide reputation for unique flavour and quality. Cabernet Sauvignon has become the region's signature drop. The region contains 25 cellar doors, all within 10 mins' drive of one another.
    Coonawarra was a spot that Duncan spent a lot of time exploring in his youth He remembers going to the weekly dances at the Memorial Hall and also a young romance with a girl who would later become a Miss Australia - the road that passed her house has now been named after her - Tricia Reschie Rd.
    We visited the little house situated along the main road where the Grants made their home whilst the farmhouse at "Angus Downs" was established. The old house has seen its day, but it still had an apple tree in the front yard which had ripe apples falling unpicked to the ground. Angela was more than happy to take advantage of the situation and fill a bag full to munch on whilst holidaying.
    Read more