Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    Pompeii

    July 10, 2019 in Italy ⋅ 🌧 30 °C

    Under the watch of the sleeping Mount Vesuvius is the town of Pompeii. The ruins at Pompeii are one of the most important archaeological sites in the world : a UNESCO world heritage site. The eruption of Mount Vesuvius in 79 AD destroyed the city, killing its inhabitants and burying it under tons of Ash. The site was lost for about 1,500 years until its initial rediscovery and the objects beneath the city have been well-preserved for centuries. We walked along the ancient streets taking a glimpse into the lives of the Romans, seeing evidence of ancient houses, bakeries, shops and images of everyday life at the time of the eruption. We saw the haunting image of a man attempting to shield himself from the ash, now captured in time. Large earthenware pots, a stone bed, stairs, streets and original lead pipes that carried water around the town, we wondered just how many of the inhabitants were effected by the lead ! We saw house number 29 our home number,but the 29 is actually the excavation site number. Today, active digging can be seen in the ruins.
    Adjacent to the ruins is the current thriving town of Pompeii, there was even Pompeii bingo which gave us a laugh, who said Pompeii is in ruins, just the people playing Bingo 😆
    Read more