Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 32

    Mataranka

    May 25, 2021 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 30 °C

    Mataranka is a town located 420 km south of Darwin and is famous for its peaceful thermal pools set amid a lush palm forest. The thermal pools soothe the soul with temperatures at a constant 30 degrees C .
    The story ,"We of the Never Never" is famous for depicting the harsh outback environment verses land settlement for farming. The book penned by Jannie Gunn, published in 1908, is a well known Australian story of life at Elsey Station near Mataranka. The book ,Little Black Princess, also written by the same author, is the story of Bett Bett, based on the story of a small Aboriginal girl, ( named changed ) who took refuge with Mrs Jannie Gunn at Elsey Station.
    The Mataranka Park has some wonderful statue pieces recognising local history pieces including Bett Bett (of The Little Black Princess story ) and her dog called Sue and a tribute piece to local Aboriginal stockman and other pieces.
    Pictures :
    Thermal Springs at The Homestead-where we stayed. Bitter Springs, thermal pools.
    Ange relaxing in the thermal springs.
    We of the Never Never, replica of the homestead.
    Tribute statue to the Aboriginal stockman.
    Tribute statue of Bett Bett and her dog Sue ( we thought had a striking resemblance to June, Alisha's dog ).
    Read more