Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 21

    Took the train to get a car

    January 27, 2017 in Spain ⋅ 🌧 6 °C

    Plans for the weekend are to head out to Segovia and spend Saturday night in the area. Only problem is that there is no other way to get to Sergovia other than drive. But to drive you need a car and to get a car you need to pick one up.

    I asked the secretary to assist in the renting of the car part and she was most helpful in getting Hertz to call me and set it all up. Only problem was that the car needed to be collected at Atocha train station (the main station in Madrid) on Friday afternoon. This meant I needed to get to the station and drive the car back to Las Tablas in Friday afternoon traffic. A task made all the more exciting by rain all day on Friday.

    Anyway, I figured that the best way to get to the station was to take the train (proof that they don't give away PhDs). The train journey was extremely painless. Trains are regular, clean and all announcements in Spanish and English.

    What was of interest though was that while people on trains are much like people on trains everywhere those that were reading books all had these massive hardbacks. No small in the back pocket story books for the Spanish but massive tome's recording the history of the world or some other not so light reading. I guess kindle hasn't gone Spanish just yet....
    Read more