Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2

    Gamka Dam hike

    December 22, 2019 in South Africa ⋅ ☀️ 30 °C

    I can safely say, night 1 was not an amazing experience for sleeping. Nathan and Kirsten both had coughs, snot and general excitement. This resulted in parents being awake between 10 and who knows what time. It also ended up with Nathan down-ladder and Taryn up-ladder. Ah, the joys of travel.

    After some early morning naps, swims and lunch and some more interrupted naps I decided to go for a bird drive and asked who would like to come. Both Kirsten and Nathan thought this was a good idea and so it turn out to be a birding free drive down to the dam wall.

    At the end of the road there is a boulder strewn section with some arrows and a sign suggesting there is a path to the top of the dam wall. We didn’t quite find a path but by following the arrows had a great scramble up the side of the mountain with only a few incidents (Kirsten fell on her bum, while screaming she wanted to go back dad got a massive thorn in his foot and then Nathan tripped over a twig - to him is was probably a tree).

    Luckily Kirsten remembered that she needed energy to get back to the car and called a halt to proceedings. Unluckily it wasn’t the top of the dam wall. Oh well there’s always next time.

    On the way down the kids stopped for a sleep in the rocks and Nathan made us a dinner of rocks and sand (I think Kirsten prepared the sand). It was not delicious.
    Read more