Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    Back in Luang Prabang

    April 21, 2019 in Laos ⋅ 🌫 30 °C

    We had to head back to Luang Prabang this morning because the electricity and water outage was going to be for a week.
    So we booked through the accomadation for a tuk tuk to the bus terminus and minivan from Nong Khiaw to Luang Prabang for 70000 kip each. We got to the terminus at 845am and was told to get into a rickety old 12 seater minivan. We were later told by another traveler that we could have all got a private air-conditioned minivan for that price.
    There were already 12 persons but the driver was still not going at 930am. Finally at 945am we set off only to stop at the side of the road to bicker with a lady who had obviously booked for her and 2 kids and was insistent to board the minivan. Finally after 20 long minutes, with the discussion getting super heated, the passenger in front with child left the minivan cursing in Lao and lady and 2 kids with fresh fish not in ice sat Infront with the driver. Then at 10am, we stopped again to have a lady, a man with baby wanting to get on the van. Subsequently her husband too emerges from the house and now 3 adults and a child are trying to squeeze into the van. With less than 10cm between me and the German lady, the driver wanted to squeeze one of the man there. There was great protest inside the van until finally the lady sat Infront with the driver making the total of 3 adults and 4 kids in the front seat, 1 man squeezed into the back seat and the last man on a tiny fold out seat meant for a child. The 12 seater carried 18 people.
    The minivan groaned up hill but surprisingly made it in good time. We were all so happy to arrive in Luang Prabang safely.
    Read more