Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 1

    Perth to Eneabba

    August 24, 2021 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 20 °C

    Setting off on a roadtrip to the Midwest, chasing the bumper crop of wildflowers produced by a very wet winter. This is the very first trip I have embarked on where no, zero, nadah, accommodation is booked. I'm exploring a new frontier of free and easy travel where we pack our tent, an ice chest full of food, and we just pull up where we happen to be, where we are allowed to, and set up camp. If it's too late, or the conditions are not suitable, we'll just sleep in the car. This is Ruby at her bravest letting go of plans... Now that's too far. I have an itinerary. I have marked out potential camping spots along the way. However, as nothing is booked, we can change our minds and change our plans.

    In keeping with that, along Brand Highway north towards Eneabba, at the last minute, we decided to detour to Lesueur National Park, renowned for its diversity of wildflowers. There was an 18km loop drive through the park with numerous stops at signs that highlighted and informed about the flora in that spot. We even managed a small 4km hike, part of the 6.5km up to Point Peron. Too late and tired to pitch our tent, we opted to sleep in the car tonight. We drove through Lake Indoon free campsite looking for a suitable spot, but were chased away by swarms of mozzies, and I mean Swarms of Mozzies. Now at the Eneabba Roadhouse for a burger before car-camping at the local council campgrounds by the recreation centre.
    Read more