Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 14

    Conto to Redgate on the Cape to Cape

    November 4, 2021 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 13 °C

    The Conto to Redgate stretch of the Cape to Cape walk is very picturesque and interesting because it incorporates bush, beach and clambering over boulders in it's 7 km undulating track.
    At the beginning of the walk we met a paraglider who was taking off from landing nearby. He said he preferred landing back on the landing or on the beach because there are snakes in the scrub and his gear might get entangled.
    It was coincidentally that Ruby managed to photograph the paraglider and a wedge tail eagle flying close together.
    At about the 4km mark, a cave appeared seemingly out of nowhere. Sadly there were no orchids on this walk. We were rewarded with Ruby's yummy lunch at the end of the walk, perched on a flatrock about 50m above the beach.
    We enjoyed a cup of tea at the White Elephant Cafe at Gnarabup.
    On the way back to the campsite we stopped at the Calgardup Cave to ask the guide if there were any orchids nearby. She was very helpful and suggested Bob Hollow which was a 4WD track opposite the carpark. We were amazed at how many orchids were found in a mere kilometre stretch of the track. There were spider orchids, pink enamel orchid, cowslips, sun orchids and the highly rare leopard orchid.
    We made another impromptu stop at a carpark at the Boranup Forest. It was magical to walk under the tall karri trees with an added bonus of finding pink lady orchids and donkey orchids.
    It was a wonderful way to wrap up a memorable holiday.
    Read more