Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    Greenbushes Loop Trail 16.93km 5 hrs

    May 3, 2022 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 16 °C

    Toasted our bread for breakfast on the public BBQ at the pool down from our campsite. Ate at the picnic tables overlooking the pool.

    We started the hike from our campsite at 10.48am. We walked the trail in an anti-clockwise direction which meant we did the historic walk around Greenbushes town at the start of the hike. In the early 1890s, tin was discovered in Greenbushes, and a town quickly grew around the productive tin mines. The timber industry also helped develop the town to a population of 3000 by 1904. The census in 2016 recorded the town's population at 362. In this trip, Grace and I discovered that the town has woken up somewhat. It's still a small quiet sleepy town, but at least it's not dead. It woke up due to the Talison lithium mine that we hear rumbling 24hrs a day. The Discovery Centre is still shut, but for once, the tiny cafe was open and the Shamrock Pub is beautifully renovated and open every evening for dinner. We're planning to have breakfast at the cafe tomorrow. It's dinner again at the pub tonight. As we are enjoying the benefits of free camping, it is always good to be able to visit the local businesses.

    Back on the hike. It was beautiful, it was long and it did not rain. The terrain wasn't too hilly. A little undulating treks that takes us through the forest , gullies and passing beautiful dams.
    Read more