Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2

    Prague Day 1

    September 12, 2023 in Czech Republic ⋅ ☀️ 28 °C

    Our bedroom window on the ground floor looks directly onto the street, so we just look out the window to see what people are wearing to ascertain the temperature and weather outside, and know what to wear. Everyone was in sundresses, shorts and t shirts, and it did turn out to be a very warm 30°C day.

    After home brought muesli for breakfast, we were on the streets for a look whilst making our way to the meeting point of the walking tour of Old Town, New Town and the Jewish Quarter.

    As we were walking to the meeting place, I needed the toilet. I tried to use the public conveniences but every place wanted coin payment to use the loo but there was nowhere to get change. As the tour was starting, I decided to wait.
    We passed the famous astronomical clock. We heard from a random guide of how the clock not only tells time, but gives the different moon phases, the zodiac, the length of day and night in the changing seasons. Our walking tour guide, Pavel which is Paul in Czech, demonstrated what the clock does on the hour that draws large crowds. He said the skeleton that signifies death will pull on a string to ring the bell whist nodding, the other three characters, vanity, greed and ottoman shake their heads to reject death, whilst the two blue doors open to allow the parade of the twelve apostles, all looking bored as they have done this millions of times already. He said then you may or may not get claps from the crowds whilst their faces register great disappointment and dissatisfaction that they waited just to witness a lack luster event.
    At approximately 1½hours walking, Pavel gave us a 15 min break. I finally found a toilet at McDonalds. Prague toilets vary in cost from 10-20 CZK. Without any small change, I had to buy a McDonald's junior chicken burger so that I could get change for the use of the toilet. What a saga! So, much to Ruby's disgust, our first eat in Prague streets was a MacDonald's hamburger.
    Pavel was very informative, giving great history of the religious, communist, and world wars and it's effects and influence on Prague and its buildings.
    After a 3 hours walking tour, we shared a hearty Czech meal of rabbit in cream sauce with dumplings and a delicious beef and liver broth.
    We visited Our Lady Before Tyne, originally an Anglican church but now a Catholic church. On the same square about 50m away is St Nicholas church, originally a Catholic church but now a Hussite Protestant church.
    In true travelling logic, we walked an extra 2 km to buy Epsom salt to revive or aching feet in the bath back at the apartment. On the way, we chanced an open gate leading into a tree'd courtyard. It was a huge garden of the house the Senate. Walking around, we were treated to a Czech pop group doing is sound test. A very nice sounds indeed.
    Exhausted, we headed back to the apartment for a light salad dinner and bath with rejuvenating salts.

    Distance walked 14.3km
    Read more