Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    Prague Day 3

    September 14, 2023 in Czech Republic ⋅ 🌙 17 °C

    Today was intended to be a day with much less walking. No walking tours, nothing specifically planned, an easy restful day visiting art galleries We still managed to clock up 17.9km.

    Prague is a lovely city to walk in. We pass interesting galleries, hidden gardens and orchards and architecture that is amazing. First destination was the Strahov Monastery of the Norbertine Order. We were meant to take the tram, however when we woke, the weather was a cool 21⁰C, not too sunny hence perfect walking weather. On the way, we passed a small food market that was just setting up. We bought a spinach strudel to fuel our uphill walk. We passed the Basilica of St Nicholas before it opened to the public. A guard was smoking outside, with the door to the basilica ajar. Ruby asked if we could go in to pray, putting on her most reverent angelic smile. We were led to the back pew, told "here, no photos". We did go on our knees, and looked around the beautiful church with our heads bowed and hands clasped, feeling very privileged.

    Strahov Monastery had an interesting collection in the Philosophical Hall, much akin to a library today. Beautiful frescoes, inlaid furniture, and a natural collection together with a collection of astronomical and terrestrial globes dating back to 1500. The lady who checked our tickets pointed out the whale's penis to a local group , and insisted, through the international language of sign, that Ruby take a photo of it. The St Norbert monks were renown for their brewery, hence at 10am, we had to break with happy hour traditions, to have a beer.

    In Prague their art galleries are scattered in 6 different locations spanning a rather large area. We decided upon National Gallery - Trade Fair Palace as we wanted to see Klimt's Virgin, Van Gogh's Green Wheat Fields, Picasso's works, and the Czech artists. Trade Fair Palace was only 4.6km from the Strahov Monastery and downhill so we decided to walk. How quickly does one forget that today was a less walk day.

    We did lots more walking and ended our day in Roesel Beer and Food Cafe. We went for their special brew called burcek but they had run out, so we tried a sour, salty beer which was surprisingly refreshing and tasty.
    It's a shame that they ran out of burcek because now we are forced to go back tomorrow to try again.
    Read more