Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 9

    Turnov Day 4

    September 19, 2023 in Czech Republic ⋅ ☁️ 22 °C

    Today is a rest day, looking only at Turnov's little town. Turnov is renown for garnet, and moravite stone mining. Turnov is also a very blessed town with 5 churches, but only 1 open at 6pm today.

    We visited the Museum of Bohemia and learnt much about jewellery and gem cutting. Extensive exhibits on minerals, rocks and fossils but the descriptions were mostly in Czech. So it was a target quick visit as we did not linger to read.

    There was a special tribute exhibition of an adventure photographer Vilem Heckel 1918-1970 who was a mountaineer capturing photos of Everest, Alpine and Peruvian, and climbs in Bohemian Paradise.

    Yet another exhibition was held for a clever artist Pavel Hlavaty 1943- who did somewhat surrealism work capturing famous individuals, like Bottecelli, Shakespeare, Leonardo da Vinci, Beatles and many more.

    After lunch, we went to an information session on garnet mining and jewellery making. The demonstrator found 2 small garnets from a box to demonstrate how garnets were separated from other rocks and gave them to us.

    We are now eagerly awaiting 6pm when we can visit the church.
    We attended a Czech Mass in the Monastery church of St Francis of Assisi when the church opened.
    Total walking distance was 4.4km.
    Read more