Satélite
Exibir no mapa
  • Dia 22

    Thoughts about Czech Republic

    2 de outubro de 2023, República Checa ⋅ ☀️ 13 °C

    When I first got to Czech Republic, I thought everyone was either shocked, horrified or extremely happy to see me. They would all say, "I'll be damn!" whenever they saw me. Then we went hiking in Turnov, and I thought they were all very concerned in some morbid way as everyone would say, "Don't be dead". Not till more than a week in this country that I realised the greeting is "dobry den".

    Not only is beer cheaper than water, it is cheaper than one's body getting rid of that water. Even tap water to have with a meal costs 30-50CZK for 500ml. A beer costs 35CZK. Use of toilet cost 20CZK per person, unless you eat (or consume beer) at a venue. So, it's cheaper to go to a pub to have a small beer between both of us and use their toilet. Then you'd need another toilet to deposit that last beer. Now I understand why Czechs are the largest beer drinkers in the world. The wait staff look at Grace and I with great sympathy when we order a small beer to share. I have not figured out whether they feel sorry with our genetic lack of requisite enzyme to efficiently process alcohol, or our lack of funds to purchase a beer each. The latter thought is not helped by us also ordering one entree and one main meal to share. The serves here usually come in 2 sizes, large or huge.

    Czechs generally speak very good English, although most of them are not confident to use it. They are usually friendly, helpful, and the younger ones can be very well travelled. Being a land locked country, they are very much outdoors people. We see a lot of young local Czechs hiking, camping or cycling round the countryside. The younger pre teens Czech children are not glued to devices, and are usually well behaved in restaurants and on public transport. We have witnessed many instances of youths giving way to and helping older people.

    Many public toilets and toilets at the eateries here provide sanitary napkins. They have a packet or more, perhaps a variety, just lying on the counter. How considerate and most practical.

    Surprisingly, there is quite a bit of spitting here. The practice is not confined to a gender nor an age group. One upside is that unlike China, there is not the prolonged loud gutteral clearing of throat that preempts these expulsions. Il
    Leia mais