Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 31

    Obertraun Day 3 Eishole and Krippenstein

    October 11, 2023 in Austria ⋅ ☀️ 16 °C

    It was supposed to be a furnicular ride and a short walk to the ice caves ie Eishole, then another furnicular ride to Krippenstein to the Five Fingers viewing platforms, a short hike and down again by the furnicular.

    This was not to be. Firstly it was a climb to the first furnicular station then another climb to the Eishole, with a further climb to the Five Fingers.

    The Eishole was at 1460m above sea level and Five Fingers was 2100m

    The Eishole was an incredible experience. There is ice all year round in the cave. It was first thought to be from the Ice Age, but then science places the ice at 500-600 years old. The outside ambient temperature was 24⁰C but inside the cave was 0⁰C with 98% humidity. The naturally scupltured ice was lovely, acoustics were amazing and archeological remains of prehistoric ice bears were found in the cave too.

    By contrast of tight enclosed Eishole, was a panoramic view of the mountain ranges, Hallstatt, Obertraun and the surroundings at 5 Fingers. Also on the way to 5 Fingers, we walked past a launching pad for paragliders.

    We gave up the hike in the end because the air was thin and walking to attractions was hiking enough.

    The weather is finally starting to cool and we can finally start to wear the winter gear we've been lugging around. It has been an unprecedented warm autumn. Despite our very limited summer clothes of weeks past, we're not complaining as the weather has also been dry which makes travelling, hiking and sightseeing much more comfortable.

    We will allay all concern about our beer consumption in Czech Republic. Everything is so expensive here, cost alone is enough to keep us sober and on rations. Just the cost of public bus rides yesterday was €24 (AUD $40) for both of us.

    Distance walked 13.1 km with lots of steep ups or downs.
    Read more