Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 38

    Vienna Day 4 Wachau Valley

    October 18, 2023 in Austria ⋅ ☁️ 9 °C

    Navigating the public transport systems in the different countries can be an exercise of patience, imagination and determination. The website of each country's transport network seems to assume that the user is already proficient and familiar with the whole system. So, when we booked online tickets for a day trip to the Wachau Valley inclusive of return train journeys to Melk and/or Krems, a boat ride between the 2, and a visit to the Melk Abbey; we had to print the tickets at "an OBB machine or counter". Nowhere was it mentioned if these printing machines were available at all stations, or if not, which station. We wanted to avoid the busy main train station (Vienna Hoph Banhhof) so we set off at 7.15 this morning with ample time for printing of these tickets. Turned out that the station we chose was the major station it seemed online, and it actually had a ticket office that was open with a lovely young man who spoke perfect English.

    Unfortunately the boat ride between Melk and Krem decided to not run this afternoon as the water levels in the Danube was too low. Damn global warming and climate catastrophe!

    The baroque Abbey in Melk was ornate and amazing. It was built as a fortress for the Babernbags but gifted to the Benedictine monks since 1079 and is still a working Monastery today with a school for 1000 students. The Abbey is privately run and not assisted by the Catholic diocese. The Abbey has an impressive library and interesting frescoes that are done so well with perspective that it gives the illusion of curved ceiling. Empress Marie Theresa would visit for a few days with her entourage of over 200, including her own furniture and carpenters to assemble her room exactly to the manner she's accustomed to.

    Since the boat was not operating thus afternoon, we took a bus from Melk to Krems where we did a small walk around the circumference of town. Ruby took fright with a huge playful dog that tried to rear up and lick her face. Fortunately the owner yelled enough and dog was under control promptly. As Wachau Valley is known for its wine, we had to visit vinotecca for a glass of Buchefger Holzgasse Grüner Veltliner 2021 before the train ride back.

    Distance walked 32.2km
    Read more