Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 86

    Rome Day 3 Villa Farnesina

    December 5, 2023 in Italy

    It rained all morning and poor Ruby had been cooped up in the accommodation most of yesterday, and today she finally felt better from the symptoms.
    We wore our wet weather gear of rain coat and rain pants and got to Villa Farnesina. This is where Raphael was commissioned to do the frescoes of the Greek legend of Psyche and Cupid. There was also The Nude Gioconda painted by Leonardo da Vinci.
    Came back to the accommodation for lunch and a rest before venturing to the old Giovanni Montemartini Thermoelectric Power House that's turned into an extension of the Museo Capitoline.
    This gallery was most interesting because of the contrast of the industrial machines and turbines displayed with the ancient sculptures, mosaics and sarcophagus. There was even an interesting exhibit of a girl's grave goods that were found in her sarcophagus. It was so detailed that the doll wore a ring that was the key to get own trinket box.
    We then met up with a lovely couple for drinks and dinner. They were wonderful company and they took us to a beautiful restaurant called Angelina's.

    Distance walked 9.3km
    Read more