Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 15

    Baekyangsa temple stay experience

    June 16, 2018 in South Korea ⋅ ⛅ 19 °C

    So we experienced the temple stay in Korea.

    We arrived on Saturday afternoon, We had an introduction to temple manners and a quick history of the temple foundation.

    We had dinner with the other participants. I experience drinking water from small paper pouch. I think the water melon provided more water...

    The next day, We woke up at 4:30 and participate to the morning office. We bowed to Buddha several times and chant. At the end of the office we meditated for 20min, basically until you can't feel your feet.

    Then we had breakfast. Buddhism is experience things together. So we had breakfast together, your fellow tourists, monks and high monks. We gathered food and all sat at random positions in the main room.

    Nobody was speaking. We could ear the forest music from outside. That was a great moment... Until they put actual music on.

    Someone decided to test our self control this morning....

    Music start reaching your ears, and you realize that l it is playing the bloody piano version of Titanic main theme... Yeah the one sang by Céline Dion.
    Now you try really hard to suppress that nervous laughs. Every time you lift up your eyes you see very serious faces... Except one, Laetitia, which seems to struggle not laughing too. DO NOT LOOK AT HER.

    Finally we were allowed to start eating. Good, focus on something, be serious now, think about the food, the people work that it tooks to grow it, Buddhist style.

    After the breakfast we had a tea ceremony then we headed to the upper temple where we had the Jeong Kwan cooking class.
    Read more