Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 46

    Milford Sound to Monkey Island

    December 5, 2019 in New Zealand ⋅ 🌧 9 °C

    The hail woke us up in the morning and it was a very early start. Based on the weather forecast we booked the first tour in the morning with Real Journeys (they had breakfast included 😁). Since Matilda got seasick during our whale watching tour we opted for a bigger vessel and she was all fine. And due to the early start there were only a few people on board, as it takes about 2 hrs from Te Anau to be in Milford Sound. (We also saw day tours coming from Queenstown!! This means 5 hrs in each direction + 1,5-2hrs boat tour)

    The boat tour itself was amazing. Even with the big vessel the captain drove as close as possible to the waterfalls. And we even „tasted“ some Tasman Sea 🌊. Spotted 🐬 seals and 🐧. The best part: it stayed dry during our cruise!!! It only started raining again when we came closer to the harbour.

    A shuttle bus brought us back to the P+R and off we go again. Some snow should be after Homer tunnel. Let’s see 😄

    It‘s nice to be early on the road again, so we could go as south as possible - along the Southern scenic route. For tonight we found a nice freedom camping spot at the beach - right in front of Monkey Island. Could spend a couple of days here.
    Read more