Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 3

    Goa Gajah, Hidden Canyon + - Bali Day 3

    December 26, 2019 in Indonesia ⋅ ⛅ 30 °C

    Another long day trip today, especially with the crazy traffic. Bali is definitely not built to handle the volume of tourism it gets, both domestic and international.

    The day started with Hidden Canyon and probably the toughest 90 minute hike I have ever done. Up a deep canyon scrambling over slippy rock formations, clinging to the canyon edge with small hand and foot holds and wading sometimes through chest high water. Well worth it though for the stunning rock formations and views; despite being soaked from head to toe. I tried to get some photos without the obligatory selfie takers or Instagrammers, but couldn't really avoid them as we stopped every few hundred yards to wait for the 'shots,' from the most photogenic places.

    Then it was off to Tennungun Waterfall a stunning fall at the bottom of a steep descent with steps and obligatory selfie spots along the way. Heart shaped cane seats seem to be the in thing, there everywhere.

    After the Waterfall it was off to Goa Gajah temple and the 'elephant rock' cave temple carved from solid rock. Pretty impressive despite all the tourists.

    Stopped for a nice lunch in Ubud somewhere before heading to the rice terraces. Terraced rice paddies that have been very touristyfied with swings, ropeway slides across the valley and lots of heart shaped selfie spots.

    Last stop was another coffee plantation. Well worth it for another strong shot of Luwak poop coffee :-)

    Traffic heading back was a nightmare and the 1 hr twenty trip going up morphed into an almost 3 hour journey back.

    Remind me not to come to Bali during holiday season again...

    Great day though.
    Read more