Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 8

    Waterfall hike

    May 14, 2015 in Brazil ⋅ ☀️ 14 °C

    Torrential rain all night and morning. Thought we were hostel-bound but finally stopped so set off for our hike through the rainforest to Feiticeira waterfall.
    Clambered over rocks, up slippery slopes, past huge stone viaduct and bamboo plants. Came across 2 other ramblers who were quietly taking photos of something - turns out to be a gignormous monkey (almost dog size!). Along stomps Anna and rustles not so quietly in her bag for her camera and scares it away.
    The waterfall was beautiful, likely heavy due to all the rain. Water looked murky and cold and couldn't tempt either of us to strip off and stand under it. So we ate our gourmet lunch of crackers and biscuits and headed back via a few beaches (watched tiny crabs pop in and out of their sand holes), an old stone prison now overtaken by trees and a few small monkeys and 1 scary big spider.
    After washing off all the mud, wandered out for dinner - planned to go to a nice pizza place we'd found previously but a neon sign stating Mexican, Crepes, Pizza distracted us and we had delicious nachos & burrito to share. Anna smothered hers in hot sauce before she realised how hot it was haha.
    Tried to stay another night here as it's so lovely but hostel is fully booked as its the weekend. Still yet to meet any other English tourists!
    Read more