Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 11

    Trinidade

    May 17, 2015 in Brazil ⋅ ☀️ 23 °C

    No, we haven't skipped countries, this is a small hippy place 16km south of Paraty. When the hostel owner found out we'd been to Jabaquara she said "no, no, not there, you must go to Trinidade!". So off we went to the bus stop to join an already rammed public bus. The bus ride can only be described as a packed rollercoaster going up kills (v v slowly) then down hills, across a stream at one point with passenger ohs and ahs to complete the experience.

    Trinidade is made up of 4 beaches and a strip of shops and restaurants. We were off to visit the natural pools which can be accessed by boat but where's the fun in that?!

    Instead we walked across one beach, across a stream, up and down a path through the jungle - consisting of rocks, tree roots and wood and along another beach. This bought us to a series of giant boulders which were being smashed by the huge waves. A tour group was in front and included one woman who was taking her time so we decided to chance upon a shortcut and run around the rocks when the waves were out...needless to say we didn't make it and got soaked! And ended up still behind the tour group!

    The pools were lovely, we had a dip and dry off, and sadly my waterproof camera isn't so waterproof as it filled up with water :(

    It seemed that the tide had dropped so we thought the return route would be easier but the waves were twice as big on the way back. It was amazing to see people of all shapes and sizes, some with babies or huge coolboxes, following the path despite it being pretty challenging.

    We had a late lunch and then got the 4pm bus back as it had started to get cold. We stopped by the supermarket and found some tortuga chocolate, actually in the shape of turtles which we dutifully tried on the name of research - yum :) Also had some huge freshly made chewy crisps.

    For dinner we ended up having 30cm pasteis - think fried sausage roll but twice as wide - full of cheese and sausage. I couldn't manage the whole thing but Anna polished hers off and a fair bit of mine!
    Read more