Satellit
Auf Karte anzeigen
  • Tag 21

    Frozen children

    27. Mai 2015 in Argentinien ⋅ ⛅ 14 °C

    Had a long, long sleep and only just woke up in time for breakfast. This set off Anna's tummy again so we spent the morning chilling.

    Then wandered to the Archaeological museum (70P) off the main square which tells the story of 3 children mummies discovered up a nearby mountain. It appears the Incas liked to select the prettiest / best children from each of the areas they governed and have year long ceremonies where they gave them lots of nice food and coca (cocaine leaves) and married them off to each other. Then they got them drunk on maize alcohol and buried them up a mountain in tombs with little figurines, believing they would then look over the communities and bring good health, crops etc.

    Due to the cold temperatures and low oxygen levels, they are the best preserved "mummies" though were not wrapped up like Egyptian ones. They only have one child on display at any time in a cooled cylinder in order to keep them preserved. We saw La Nina de raya who was about 7 and had been struck by lightning so her face was blackened but still looked very real with all her hair and clothes on. Quite disturbing but interesting experience. Not allowed to take photos so these are from brochures.

    We then walked to the market area but it was closed for siesta so returned to the hostel for Anna to rest. I went out to farmacia to get Anna some drugs and supermarket to "cook" an interesting dinner of salad, pepper, lentils and super noodles. Spent the rest of the evening re-reading Marching Powder in preparation for La Paz (very interesting read about Bolivian jail which is top supplier of cocaine in which you pay for your cell / food; it's a popular tourist destination who are allowed to enter for tours but I'm not sure I fancy it) and watching tv - actually have cable with tons of channels here including English stuff or dubbed popular movies. Devil wears Prada was tonights choice.
    Weiterlesen