Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 25

    Humahuaca

    May 31, 2015 in Argentina ⋅ ⛅ 22 °C

    (pronounced uma-waka)

    Anna is suffering the effects of altitude and even 2 cups of coffee couldn't make her move this morning. Eventually I dragged her to the bus station and we headed to Humahuaca (20P). Five minutes into our drive on the dusty old bus there was a huge clang as if half the bus had fallen off. We stopped, the driver walked around the bus a few times, then we carried on.

    An hour or so later we had travelled 40km north to Humahuaca, another small, dusty town at 3,000m high.

    Anna was convinced there were some special hills nearby (I wasn't so sure) so dragged us around looking for them / the tourist office for ages until our stomachs called for lunch.

    We found a very cute place with a set menu for 85P for 2 cheese empanadas (hot pastries) each, regional spicy chicken with rice and a creme caramel type dessert. Apart from the dessert (Anna schnaffled both) it was delicious, one of the best meals yet for me.

    Upon checking the wifi Anna realised that this wasn't the place with the coloured hills and then we were allowed to wander around the pretty place which consisted mainly of a square, a monument up a load of steps and loads of handicraft stalls.

    We were very sleepy with dry mouths on the way back so guzzled a ton of coke to revive us. I wasn't hungry for dinner (altitude is good for me) so Anna got the restaurant we went to on the first night to give her a takeaway tamale.

    My head started to pound and Anna poked herself in the eye with aloe vera so we postponed our planned star gazing (I'd seen an amazing shooting star the previous night).
    Read more