Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 47

    Back to La Paz

    June 22, 2015 in Bolivia ⋅ ☀️ 14 °C

    After a nice long sleep, I skipped breakfast to embark on a liquid diet in the hope that it'll help my bum heal which has been suffering since altitude sickness on the Jeep tour. After a protein shake I'd brought with me, we checked out and wandered along the river. It was really hot so we stopped for ice cream (liquid diets aren't all bad!).

    We returned to the hostel and lay in the hammocks catching up on blogs and internet.

    At 3pm we headed to the TAM office, checked in our luggage and waited and waited. Then we hopped on the provided minibus (10B) and went to the airport which is little more than a shed. After paying two lots of taxes for some reason (22B) we got back on the bus to drive the short distance to the runway and boarded the plane.

    Forty minutes later we were in La Paz, back to the cold and oxygen-less air. We were ushered out the terminal which quickly turned off all the lights and wandered in the dark to the gates of the military base.

    We shared a taxi with a couple of Dutch girls so it only cost 25B - far cheaper than the journey there.

    We had planned to go to a little cafe up the cobbled street from the hostel so I could have soup but it was closed. Neither of us could be bothered to walk down (or back up really) to the main street so we ended up next door at Etno for the lovely pizza again.
    Read more