Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 67

    Time to call in the doctors

    July 12, 2015 in Peru ⋅ ☀️ 14 °C

    We had a lovely breakfast of fruit salad, sugar puffs and yoghurt, plus rolls, then watched the Wimbledon final.

    We then headed to the medical centre as Anna had convinced me it was time to deal with the continuous pain that I've been in.

    It took us a while and a tuktuk to find the clinic, then the doctor saw us straight away (70S). We did quite well with our Spanish but luckily the doctor spoke some English as well. After an examination I was told I needed surgery, was given a pain shot in the bum and prescriptions for lots of drugs (60S) - yey!

    After some street food for lunch we headed to the beach (and had yummy caramel-filled churros for 1S) but it had clouded over and got a bit chilly so we retreated to the sheltered pool. An English couple joined us and promptly dropped their room key through the decking. Anna gamely volunteered to climb under, through the dirt and cobwebs to retrieve it in scenes reminiscent of the crystal maze. Several scratches and possible spider bites later, she emerged victorious and jumped straight in the pool, earning herself a huge beer.

    We had dinner at a popular Asian place called Tao (80S) which was lovely with beautifully presented dishes. To start, they gave us plantain chips with tamarind and passion fruit dips, then another portion as we said how nice it was. Then our starter of spring rolls turned up which was huge and we struggled to eat them all! But we powered through our mains of pad thai which was more noodle curry but very nice. Anna also had the hugest glass of red wine - third drink of the day, I may have to check her into rehab soon! My drugs had kicked in and I was actually able to sit at dinner without mountains of pain which was as pleasant relief :) And on a wooden chair no less - we have been selecting our restaurants for the last few weeks based primarily on chair comfort!
    Read more