Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 76

    Recovery

    July 21, 2015 in Peru ⋅ ⛅ 11 °C

    The first few days after surgery were very painful and spent doing little but lying in bed. The staff were kind enough to bring me breakfast in bed and Anna fetched me takeaway in the evening from various restaurants.

    After a few days I decided to supplement my prescribed tramadol with ibuprofen and felt a lot better and managed a few short walks to the beach / shops.

    By Friday I felt a lot better and managed a long walk along the beach to the marina and beyond. We saw lots of wildlife - a sea lion, a blue-footed booby, and some fish - all sadly dead and washed up!

    There are many cats and dogs at the bungalows, all of whom, Anna is obsessed with. One stripy cat befriended us when Anna brought home some fish for her lunch. There are also lots of the typical Peruvian dogs on the streets - skinny, hairless, ugly things with tufts of coarse hair on their heads and tails.

    The rest of the week was spent reading, sunbathing in the cooler late afternoons on the beach, watching sunsets and eating too many times at the lovely Mexican.

    We moved rooms a third time...to next door which looked exactly the same but nicer bedding!

    Kokopelli, a party hostel about 400m away played horrendous bassy music late into the night, especially at weekends, which drove Anna mad. One night, she reached the end of her short tether: our neighbours, 2 young lads, were playing some music on their balcony at midnight, not overly loudly, but enough to annoy Anna and she stormed out there, ranted at them (impressively in Spanish) and slammed the door, waking me up. The poor boys apparently looked terrified and all went silent! She did apologise the next day but they left soon after!!
    Read more