Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 100

    Scary snorkelling

    August 14, 2015 in Ecuador ⋅ 🌬 26 °C

    Our first potential lie-in for a week and I was awake by 6am! Still I refused to get up and we had a lazy morning, fetching some granola and yoghurt from the supermarket for a cheap breakfast, plus finding Anna some non-instant coffee and me a huge glass of oj. Lisbet had given me a couple of vitamin sachets so I was hoping to put the cold to rest.

    We met Maya and Sabine at midday and walked the sandy path to Los Humedales, which Tamara had the recommended as a great snorkelling site - either we didn't find it or our tips weren't good enough and she was trying to kill us!

    At the first tiny beach which was covered with snorting iguanas, Anna and Maya went into the wavy water. I held back to see what is was like as I was feeling rough and didn't have any snorkelling gear. Within minutes I decided it was a bad spot but by this time the girls had swum quite far out and couldn't hear us. They struggled to get back to the shore amongst the pounding waves and rocks. Thankfully they kept calm (ish) and made it back safe and sound but were both very shaken and said it was terrifying.

    Not to be deterred we went to the next beach, Playa Amor, just around the corner, but the tide was high and it looked equally lethal so we just sat and watched the waves a while.

    After checking out another lava tunnel (was flooded by tide so couldn't enter) we headed back for ice creams. We headed to the local beach but the sun had gone in and it was getting chilly. I had a shower and went to bed and didn't get up for the rest of the night. Anna went out for dinner with M & S (C & L had gone back) and had drinks on the beach watching a band which I could hear from our hotel.

    A lot of people love Isabela but it was our least favourite island. It wasn't helped by the mainly murky weather, however the snorkelling really disappointed us. We wish we hadn't listened to Tamara's suggestion and gone on the cheap boat ride I had originally planned on. K & L had a fantastic snorkelling day trip to Los Tuneles but it had cost them $90 each which we couldn't justify after the cruise.
    Read more