Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 109

    Columbia: Ipiales

    August 23, 2015 in Colombia ⋅ ⛅ 14 °C

    5,000 COP = £1

    We got up at 8am and jumped in a taxi to Terminal Carcelen ($10). On Sundays they close a 15km strip of the main roads for cyclists and runners - awesome!

    I brought us some bus tickets ($6) but we missed the first bus as we were sat in the wrong place. We just assumed it went early and bought another set of tickets as the first company didn't have any more buses that morning, only to miss that one too! D'oh. We bought and ate some cheese croissants and apples for breakfast.

    Eventually we made the 11am bus - one of the least comfy buses and the driver seemed to think he was in a race and overtook anyone he could. Meanwhile his assistant hung out the door half the time and anybody getting on during the trip had to run and jump as the driver didn't like to stop for long.

    Five hours of windy mountain roads later and we arrived in Tulcan. We took a taxi to the border ($3.5), got an exit stamp, walked across the bridge (me lugging my nice light bag plus Anna's bag which weighs a ton!) and got an entry stamp - no queues, easy border crossing.

    Now in Columbia we took a taxi for $5 to Ipiales and asked for a hotel near the bus station. We checked into Hotel Metropol (50,000P).

    I had a quick wander around but couldn't see anywhere for dinner. We asked the guy at reception who said we could get a taxi to centro to find a restaurant, however just as we were going out the door he tells us everything is closed on Sundays!! We asked where we could get some food and he frowned, then went to the other side of the room where the lights were off, turned them on and there was a small cafe attached.

    The guy in the cafe kindly gave us the set menu of potato and pasta soup for starters; rice, beans, chicken, salad, fried plantain and chips for main and a pink drink. All for $3 each. As with most South American food it was quite plain but filled us up nicely...we couldn't finish it.

    We then retired to our room which was cold, freezing actually - seems we are still up in the mountains. Bring on the Caribbean!!!
    Read more