Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 154

    Seahorses

    October 7, 2015 in Honduras ⋅ ⛅ 31 °C

    For once I had a healthy breakfast of a smoothie and baleada (15L, no eggs!). I even turned down a cinnamon roll despite the others scoffing them. We went to buy more bug spray as we are using a bucket load here (and still getting eaten alive) plus granola for Roatan which we expect to be pricey. I showed Hannah the hummingbird feeder at the laundry and we were in luck - 2 were there. She got great photos with her fancy camera; ours were less impressive on Anna's phone.

    Hannah spent most of the day sunbathing on the dock. Anna was having asthma troubles so I stayed in the room with her and then we went down to the bar for iced tea (amazing homemade stuff) and chips.

    Later we swam over to the Tranquila Bar dock where Andrea had told us there were 5-6 resident seahorses - very useful info so we will forgive her slightly for being obsessed with looking for tiny creatures on our dives. Anna was still breathless so I towed her most of the way and then we hunted around and under the docks. After fifteen minutes of searching I found a couple of orangey red seahorses hanging on a rope. They didn't seem at all perturbed by our presence and photo-taking. Anna got cold so I towed her back as the sun was setting.

    We waited for Katelin to come back from her night dive (she saw tons of bioluminescent plankton) and then went to Fookin Wok, ordered 3 dishes and ended up with tons of leftovers. We donated ours to Katelin who has only 100L to last her until Monday - banks are closed due to bank holiday! We played more Monopoly Deal and Anna finally won!

    Cost of Captain Morgan's:
    Room = $13 plus $3 aircon each per night per person (hot water)
    $20 refresher dive (v cheap compared to many places)
    $242 for 8 fun dives ($30 per dive)
    $20 for Anna to come out on boat 4 times to snorkel
    Read more