Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 71

    TransNZ Enduro - Days 3 to 5

    March 2, 2017 in New Zealand ⋅ ☀️ 24 °C

    Three more days of wild racing, in 3 unique locations! The second half of the TransNZ is based in Queenstown but features riding at Coronet Peak, Alexandra and the Skyline Bike Park. We had three days of stunning sunshine, amazing scenery and unbelievable trails.

    Day 3 took place on Coronet Peak, which meant we could ride some of our favourite trails again - Rude Rock, Skippers, and Zoot all featured in stages. The last run of the day - Corotown - took us from high up on the ski-field down a steep as, dustbowl track towards the historic Arrowtown. A run out through 18 creek crossings landed us at the pub for a well earned pint!

    The next day we were at Alexandra, an hours drive from Queenstown, where all the riding was new to us. The trails here are like a gnarly, rock-filled fun park for bikes - follow the pink dots and your fine, stray off and you might well not make it out! The racing was awesome to watch as the smell of wild thyme filled the air. A 10-minute belter of a stage all the way out to the town finished the day off, and another afternoon was spent in a beer garden, this time at the local Monteith's Bar, for pints and burgers!

    The last day of the race featured stages in the iconic Skyline Bike Park and took riders up to the heights of Ben Lomond and down through the high-speed, root infested, roller-coaster of Fernhill. After a final morning of race marshal duties, the volunteer crew headed up for a couple of celebration laps in the park, with some high speed trains and plenty of whooping, before we head to the pub again later for the closing dinner and awards!

    With the TransNZ finished we will be heading up towards Nelson for some more riding. Maybe a couple of days rest first?

    Ben
    Read more