Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 149

    Windy Welly

    May 19, 2017 in New Zealand ⋅ ☀️ 13 °C

    So after nearly five months in New Zealand we finally got round to visiting the capital! We'd visited the ferry terminal already on our trips back and forth from the South Island but thought we should take some time to explore the city. Although there is meant to be some awesome riding in Wellington, the weather was a bit wild and our bodies a bit tired after weeks of riding in Rotorua so we decided to go full tourist mode instead.

    We arrived late Wednesday afternoon after driving down from Napier. It's been a while since we've spent some time in a real city. Our stay coincided with the comedy festival so we headed out for dinner and a show.

    We found a real gem in the city centre, Little Penang, a fabulous little Malaysian restaurant. Spicy noodles, Malaysian curry and more with generous portions and bargain prices, delicious! After dinner we had time for a wander along the waterfront and a gigantic icecream before watching the oddest, most energetic, and totally messed up comedy show we've ever experienced. Wow the Kiwi humour is something else!

    On Thursday we spent the morning at Te Papa museum, we were both really impressed with the powerful Gallipoli exhibition and learned a lot more about the ANZAC contribution to the Great War.

    Then it was time to experience Wellington's infamous coffee culture. Flat whites and yummy cake at Espressoholic lived up to expectations.

    By lunchtime the rain had eased and blue skies started to emerge so we took the cable car up to the Botanic Gardens, great views over the city and a lovely autumnal feeling with all the leaves falling from the trees. We walked slowly through the gardens and down to the parliament and war memorial.

    This morning having discovered that our ferry to the South Island had been delayed, we headed over to Weta Cave, the design workshop responsible for the visual effects in Lord of the Rings, the Hobbit, Avatar and more.

    Then we had some time to chill in the morning sun at the tranquil Scorcher Bay before heading for our ferry across the Cook Straight.

    A lovely few days exploring the city. We concluded Wellington is a bit of a mix of Edinburgh and Glasgow with something special added in and certainly lives up to its windy reputation!

    Onwards to Nelson.

    Christine
    Read more