Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 15

    Bastiagueiro, Spain

    June 6, 2019 in Spain ⋅ 🌧 12 °C

    Bastiagueiro bordering A Coruña
    The rain arrived yesterday afternoon in Fisterra and hasn't stopped all night.
    We drove in quite heavy rain all the way to Bastiagueiro (well Alan drove, we supported)! The sun finally came out at about 5pm so went to look at the Hercules Tower, an ancient Roman lighthouse about 2.4 kilometers from the centre of A Coruña. The structure is 55 metres tall and overlooks the North Atlantic coast of Spain. The structure, built in the 2nd century and renovated in 1791, is the oldest Roman lighthouse in use today.
    When we got there it was just closing so we couldn't go inside but we could still enjoy the walk up to it and the peninsular it sits on. When I say it was windy, that doesn't come anywhere near describing the force that hit us as we walked up to the lighthouse. It was forcing our legs together and making it very difficult to walk there. Even Alan was struggling! Beautiful location and worth the struggle!
    Both A Coruña and Bastiagueiro have nice sandy beaches but unfortunately it was a little too cold to test the waters. Temperature was 14° max.
    Read more