Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 18

    San Sebastian

    June 9, 2019 in Spain ⋅ ⛅ 17 °C

    San Sebastian - 9 and 10 June
    We stayed just outside the Old Town of San Sebastian (about a 20 minute easy walk). Two nights here. San Sebastian is the city that invented the pintxos, the local word for small bar bites otherwise known as tapas - a meal in miniature, usually placed on a piece of bread. 
    You can either order from a hot menu or you fill your plate from the many choices of cold food lining the bar. We did a bit of both. It was great fun and delicious. So much so that we went there again the next night.

    San Sebastián is a resort town on the Bay of Biscay in Spain’s mountainous Basque Country. It’s known for Playa de la Concha and Playa de Ondarreta, beaches framed by a picturesque bayfront promenade, and world-renowned restaurants managed by innovative chefs. Its old town (Parte Vieja) is cobblestoned and has upscale shops next to the colourful pintxo bars. There is a real party atmosphere here - I can see how popular it must be in Summer with the beautiful beaches and more bars per square metre than anywhere else on Earth (so it is claimed).

    For spectacular views, you can walk to the top of Monte Urgull, at the tip of town, surrounded by low castle walls that circle a grand statue of Christ or, as we did, take the old-world funicular railway to the Parque de Atracciones (amusement park).
    Read more