Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 34

    Torhout / Antwerp, Belgium

    June 25, 2019 in Belgium ⋅ ⛅ 22 °C

    Today we rode from Willemstad to Antwerp, a port city on Belgium’s River Scheldt. It was an unbelievably hot day reaching 37°. It was a long hard 50kms to our destination but we made it....a little later than planned because we lost one rider along the way! Luckily his wife noticed he was no longer with us. A panic-stricken tour guide and the only other two men set off in various directions to find him. About an hour later he was found! For the men this expedition added a few kms to what was already a very exhausting ride - for the women, it was a very welcome pitstop to relax and revive!
    We had an almost unnoticed crossing of the border from Holland to Belgium until our guide pointed out a big insignificant concrete block at the side of the path!!
    Our lunch stop today was Kasteel Ravenhof (Ravenhof Castle), a castle in the centre of Torhout, West Flanders. The city's park surrounds the castle which now serves as a museum and tourist centre. The promise of Belgian waffles at the café here kept everyone in high spirits....and they didn't disappoint. They were by far the best waffles ever tasted - light and delicious!
    Read more