Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 38

    Proizd Island, Croatia

    July 7, 2022 in Croatia ⋅ ⛅ 30 °C

    I have seen twenty five states and eight countries in my lifetime. This little island is the coolest place I have seen yet.

    Proizd Island is a small uninhabited island near Vela Luka off the Croatian coast (shaped like a stretching cat, according to my girls) with pine tree woods and several gorgeous beaches. The various shades of blue against the smooth, white stones were just a wonderful contrast.

    We began the day with a little school (mostly math and reading), a stop in the grocery store for lunch supplies then off to the boat taxi for Proizd Island.

    After a half hour boat ride across the Adriatic Sea, we hopped off the boat and began our exploration. We walked through the shady pine tree covered path towards the first beach when suddenly, we were approached by a native island creature. I was not sure what type of creature we were dealing with until the girls giggled. A small lizard seemed to be chasing Seth down the path. He climbed all the way up to Mabel on his shoulders. We thought it was going to be squished between the backpack and Seth, but he managed to wiggle through. He hung out with us and climbed on the girls for a bit, until Addy did a dance to shake him off. She and I are not a fan of things just crawling around on us as they please. The girls asked for me to make sure I told about the lizard in "our story."

    The first beach was a steep stone hill with a small pebbly nook to one side. It was a little intimidating and difficult to walk down with three littles who were ready to run to the water. The girls actually managed quite well, but all the while I was thinking about what in the world you do if you have an emergency on a remote island! The stone near the water's edge was covered in a green, mossy film which made for a perfect slide for the kids. I tried not to be too nervous about them getting hurt. To be real, I mostly just held my breath and hovered while they were sliding. Mabel bonked her head once, but not bad. Then she and Addy decided to be wolves and climb the jagged edges of the hill. They may have scared off some people as they crawled around and utilized their howling skills.

    We picked out a face mask the day before and this was the perfect spot to try it out. The girls said you could see everything. Demi was nervous about some dark spots before, but after looking and realizing they were just seagrass patches she felt releaved and swam out even further. She has been very proud of her bravery, as she has been able to swim out further and further into the sea.

    The second beach was less steep with extra large, smooth stones. The girls had so much fun using there new goggles here. Mabel used them for the first time and was simply amazed! She saw a fish! They tried to catch fish, build a sail boat from driftwood and they made a pool surrounded by stones to put their soon to be caught fish in. Seth and I relaxed in the sun, leaving with a little TOO much sun for the day. Luckily, the girls are more sun-kissed than us and had no sun burns.

    We opted to skip the other beach, because it was for those who prefer to be free bodied.

    Each beach we have explored here has just been out of this world crazy gorgeous with sailboats waving in the background. This has got us thinking and dreaming more of our next adventure of sailing as a family, but we have a few years before we embark on that expedition.

    Side note: While we have been in Croatia, Mabel has made up her own language. We have no idea what she is saying to us most days anyway. Ha ha! Actually, she has a lot to say these days, but the big girls get awfully giggly over her cuteness and her creativity when she uses her language.
    Read more