Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 44

    Velika Mlaka, Croatia

    July 13, 2022 in Croatia ⋅ ⛅ 17 °C

    We are still in Croatia... The language here sounds more Slavic than our previous spot in this country. In Croatia, they seem to really like to add the letter J and L to words whenever they can. This makes sounding things out for me impossible. Different, but similar to how the English language makes total sense when you try to sound things out. Ha ha!

    We are staying here for two weeks after that long bit of travel waiting on Seth's passport stuff to finish up. We are still needing to stay out of Shengen countries to ensure we do not overstay our visa days. This spot has been so great, especially with a car for excursions.

    As I mentioned before, we basically have our own tiny house with some extras. The kids have all this garden and courtyard space to play. They have a trampoline, scooters, balls and a golden retriever on the premises. In addition to that, there are flowers, berries, wild plums, and spices growing all around. We get fresh hydrangeas every few days for our dining table too. Demi found a lavender, rosemary and curry plant. Then she made her own floral arrangement of things she found around the property. All these wonderful plants attract bees and mosquitoes. Although we are teaching the girls to not freak out over bees, currently they do. The mosquitoes love me! The girls and I do our best to squish the mosquitoes guts out.

    We have also had the pleasure of meeting new people from several countries. The girls have played with several groups of kids from Croatia, Germany, and Denmark. Their favorite part would definitely be getting to play with other kids.

    One day we took a little excursion to a local lake called Cice Beach (pronounced Chee-Chay and means uncle in English, if my translation app is correct). It was small, but warm for swimming and had a rope swing. I prefer small with littles anyway, so I can keep a closer eye on them. Demi definitely enjoyed the rope swing. Addy and Mabel focused on catching fish and hanging on to Seth. This fresh water lake was very blue, but not as clear as the sea so the girls stayed much closer to us in hopes they would avoid all the sea monsters and sharks.

    Coming up next, I get stung by a bee on a mountain and Demi tries to feed her shoe to the fish in the most gorgeous lake I have ever seen! Also, Seth and I keep hunting for a place with a pool or kids waterpark for our next stop. When searching the interwebs for house with a pool, so many random things pop up. Such as places that list a pool, but don't actually have one, water pumps, wells, pool tables or just the sea. I'm thinking this plan to find a pool might be a bust.
    Read more