Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 53

    Last Days -Velika Mlaka, Croatia

    July 22, 2022 in Croatia ⋅ ☀️ 33 °C

    Last post from Croatia, for now...

    We had read that people in the Balkan countries were very kind, friendly and hospitable. This nearly two weeks stay has proven that to be true. The owners of the home we stayed in just outside of Zagreb were very considerate and made us feel at home. They checked on our girls while playing, baked us cake, gave us parting gifts (an angel to keep us safe along pur travels and a Stari Jansen keychain) and had coffee with us.

    We also had to go to a doctor, which I was really nervous about, but as usual, God totally took care of us. I found a list of doctors that speak English near us from the US Embassy website. The doctor checked on Demi for a bad bladder infection and on Mabel regarding her allergy cough. We have had Mabel on an inhaler daily for a few months now. We are trying to remove wheat, dairy and egg from her diet. I say trying because traveling causes us to encounter new things constantly and we have to figure each ingredient list out in another language. We try to stick to oatmeal, tortilla chips, honey, fruits, veggies and meat. I think it's helping.

    The doctor was thorough and friendly. He even took the time to talk to the girls to make them feel comfortable. I really like it when doctors do that. He prescribed what we needed and gave us an extra script for both girls, because we are still traveling. He must have felt my momma concern in the midst of all the unknowns of how the medical system works in each country. He put my concerns to rest and we appreciate having a backup script just in case. Another encounter with this region's kindness.

    Well, we spent our last few days taking it easy and it got hot!! The high on our last day neared 108 degrees.

    The girls used their creativity to design a doll house with beds, blankets, couches and more. I love that they just used nature and other resources around them to make the day fun! The best kinda fun - outdoors and imaginative!

    We hit the Cice Beach one more time and had it all to ourselves. We got pool noodles this time and that added some extra fun. We brought peanuts in their shell for a snack and the girls enjoyed making fairy boats out of them. They also cleaned rocks for a cool rock display. I love watching them play!

    We enjoyed our time here and all our excursions in Croatia. The Guesthouse Stari Jasen tiny house is a great place to stay! We will have to pass through again to catch a train sometime, but for now we say Tschüss, Chao, and Bye to Croatia.

    It took hours of research for us to decide to head further southeast. We ruled out the train system, because they have a terrible reputation. Big buses were kind of an unknown for us, but did not sound great with kids. Car rental companies have lots of rules about which countries you can use their cars in. We had a hard time finding one for our next country. Seth finally found a car rental place that would allow us to cross multiple boarders, so off we go continuing our adventure in a fancy rental.
    Read more