Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 81

    Berlin, Germany

    August 19, 2022 in Germany ⋅ ☁️ 21 °C

    We have been staying in Erlangen again for a bit. Oh and ummm, Seth got a job in Germany, so that's new. Lots of changes and lots to think through. More on that later...

    We trained it to Berlin as a halfway point to get to the beach in Poland. We had all nice trains heading north, thankfully! After check-in, we played at a park and ate some delicious Asian food. At the park, they went up and down the slides, made ice cream scoops, and performed gymnastics in the grass. It was a lot of fun until Mabel did a cartwheel into dog poop, so we headed to the restaurant. Vegetarian curry is where it's at! DeMille was the most excited because she ate lots of sushi at this place. Addy got a fortune cookie that told her "Laughter will keep you young." She is our giggle box, so she might live forever.

    The next morning fresh bagels were calling our name! Seth's friend told us about this epic Jewish bagel shop called Salomon's Bagels and eating those was first on the agenda. We went to open the door and it was locked! Nooooo! They were closed due to a supply issue. No New York style bagels for us. So sad! Luckily, Berlin has no shortage of bakeries. The girls enjoyed trying a new pastry.

    The Berlin Zoo was the main destination for this stop. The cool air and mild rain made for no crowds! We covered lots of ground and saw nearly every animal at this zoo. The girls particularly enjoyed the birds. There were more birds here than I have ever seen at a zoo and very unique ones. The bigs suggested we get a parakeet for our morning alarm clock, because it was quite loud. We saw a flamingo turning it's egg over in her nest. Then she proceeded to pass off the responsibility of sitting on the egg to another flamingo. I did not know they shared that job with other birds.

    We walked through the aquarium with fish and reptiles. Addy loved the tiny sea horses. Mabel and Demi were very into watching these large bright green eels. They looked very similar to Ursula's pets. They also got to pet the shiny coy fish. The girls wanted to keep doing that forever. Addy especially enjoyed trying to touch them.

    They also had a unique wooden park that was just so impressive! I want it in my backyard! The girls loved climbing to ask the different peaks. They especially had fun on this spinny thing. It was essentially a merry go round with out rails, on a tilt, about three feet off the ground. As you walked along the edge of the disc, it would speed up. It was easy to get it going to fast. Pretty fun!

    This was a fun way to slow travel to Poland.
    Read more