Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 1

    Salzburg on The Way

    December 28, 2022 in Austria ⋅ ⛅ 3 °C

    We decided to stop over in Salzburg on our way to our friends in Italy. The girls were particularly excited because this was the filming location for "The Sound of Music." That is a movie they recently discovered and truly enjoyed. Their little voices have filled our home with the memorable songs from the movie ever since they watched it.

    Poor Mabel's cough flared up again before we left, but we rallied despite the lack of sleep and everyone traveled quite well. Everyone was excited to be in adventure mode again, so the joy of traveling trumped the tiredness. We traveled by rental car which allowed us to encounter more of the countryside and the Alps. The snow capped Alps with lingering clouds and lush green valleys below were just a spectacular sight to see. Oh and all the long tunnels made for extra fun! One tunnel took Seth five breaths to complete. We went through many long tunnels this trip.

    Our hotel was fantastic and had a pool, but I forgot the swimsuits! Luckily, the kids were very understanding and kind about that. They were really just excited to see the city and be traveling again. We drove into Salzburg and hit the streets exploring. We walked along the river as dusk chased us and the city lit up with Christmas lights. We were drawn toward the town center by Christmas trees and the delicious smells of the Christmas market. We shared one thing savory and one thing sweet! The Schaumrollen was a sweet cylinder shaped pastry filled with whipped marshmallow cream topped with powdered sugar about the size of a child's forearm. We decided on Spätzell because we didn't hit our carb goals for the day. Ha ha! This dish consisted of drizzled, fried dough covered in cheese and pork.

    As we wondered further into the city, we encountered "Mozart" on every corner as this city is also famous for being the birth place of this incredible musician. This trip stirred their curiosity of Mozart and his impact on the world through music.

    We ended the night with an incredible feast at a restaurant with multiple playgrounds! We ordered not understanding how large the spread would be, but we could have fed at least two other adults easily. It was beyond delicious with meats, fresh veggies, sprouts, and freshly made potato wedges. Sehr lecker! Needless to say, we were stuffed and fell to sleep quickly back at it hotel after a full day.
    Read more