Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2

    Trinity College and the Book Of Kells

    June 21, 2016 in Ireland ⋅ ⛅ 15 °C

    After Dublin castle we made our way to Trinity college (with a lovely young Irish man confirming that we were headed in the right direction) and walked into a campus that can only be described as Hogwarts-like. The buildings were gorgeous and old.. But honestly that wasn't even the best part.

    We headed to the old library and realized they had an exhibit for the Book of Kells... Now for those of you who don't know, the Book of Kells is a gospel which was handwritten by scribes made a long... Long time ago. We walked into the gift shop and realized there was an €11 fee to walk around and see the book.

    We thought... No way man. Thats far too expensive for a simple self guided tour. So what did we do? We just walked in and no one stopped us. Ok, i know... That's probably not the beat thing to do but hey... We are on a budget and like to live dangerously!

    Anyway, the exhibit was truthfully one of the most amazing things we did today. We learned so much about how the book was made and written, and then saw the ACTUAL BOOK LIVE IN PERSON. SERIOUSLY. IT WAS SO AMAZING. LIKE, HOW DID THE SCRIBES MAKE THE LETTERS SO NICE? We were in awe with how they were made and designed that we didnt realize the exhibit wasnt over.

    Then we walked into literally the LARGEST, MOST BEAUTIFUL LIBRARY I HAVE EVER SEEN. It was FILLED with old books that were both hand written and the result of some of the first printing presses ever. There were original works from a variety of famous authors (Arthur Conan Doyle!) and it was honestly one of the moat awe inspiring sights I have seen in my life so far. We marvelled in the greatness for a while and decided to move on before we passed out from library excitement.
    Read more