Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 7

    Adventure Time - Queenstown Style

    December 22, 2016 in New Zealand ⋅ ☀️ 100 °F

    We unfortunately started the trip out with a head cold that probably wasn't helped by the hiking we did in the rain. So, in an attempt to speed up the healing process, we decided to choose an adventure that wouldn't make us feel worse. And, from multiple people's recommendation, it sounded like Jet Boating up the Shotover River was the not-to-be-missed activity. Jetboating was apparently invented by the Kiwis due to few roads but lots of rivers.

    The company we chose, Skipper's Canyon Jet, provided a little bit of history while the tour van was winding up and down a narrow single car dirt road. The area grew in population in the 1860s when gold was discovered. After about 45 minutes down the canyon road, we boarded the jet boat outfitted in lifejackets. There was a brief safety chat, where we were told to hold on and that it might be a bit bumpier than usual due to the high water level being just below safe operating levels.

    As we roared up the river at 90kph, the driver would manuever the boat close to the river banks and walls, through a narrow opening, and threw in a few 360° spins. We stopped under some bungy jump bridges, one of which used to be the highest in the world at 120-130 metres.

    The boat ride was around 30 minutes. We were both expecting a little more of an adrenaline rush based on others' stories, but it was still a fun experience.

    Since it was such a clear day, after arriving back in Queenstown, we decided to take the gondola up for a peak out over the town and surrounding Lake Wakatipu. We enjoyed some Sauvignon Blanc while taking in the views and discussing our travels.
    Read more