Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 26

    Salisbury

    August 26, 2018 in England ⋅ 🌧 13 °C

    Wet weather day.
    Plan was to go to Salisbury, see the Cathedral and a few other bits and ancient pieces then head a little south for either another “Big House” or an early afternoon. See any pattern emerging here.
    Wet and colder today at top of 18.
    So what’s the plan?
    Go to Salisbury, see the Cathedral and a few other bits and ancient pieces then head a little south for either another “Big House” or an early afternoon.

    We found out that the Great Dorset Steam Festival is on south of Salisbury.
    This is enormous with over 200,000 steam tragics camping, oh ING and ahing over the Bank Holiday weekend.
    We were warned of horrendous traffic, general mayhem and gridlock. Got to Salisbury in good order and time, all the traffic must be bogged down in the fields .

    We stumbled on a National Trust property we hadnt realised was in Salisbury, Mompesson House. Its close by the Cathedral, in the Cathedral Close in fact and is a very livable Queen Anne era Townhouse. Are we getting value from the National Trust membership or not?

    Was owned by a London architect who used it as a weekender before he left it to the Trust.
    A weekender!
    Read more