Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 1

    Sgwd Henrhyd

    January 1, 2020 in Wales ⋅ ☁️ 6 °C

    Henrhyd Falls (Welsh: Sgwd Henrhyd) is in the Brecon Beacons National Park, Wales, and is the tallest waterfall in southern Wales with a drop of 90 feet (27 m).
    It lies on National Trust land, in the county of Powys. The nearest settlement to it is Coelbren, on the road between Glynneath and Abercraf. Though not in the core of the area, it is considered by many to constitute a part of Wales' celebrated Waterfall Country and is as long renown as the waterfall that concealed the batcave in the Batman movies.

    The falls occur where the small river, the Nant Llech drops over the faulted edge of a hard sandstone known as the Farewell Rock which forms the top half of the rock face and which forms the base of the South Wales Coal Measures. Beneath this, and forming much of the recessed portion of the drop, is the Subcrenatum Sandstone separated from the Farewell Rock above by the Subcrenatum marine band. Both the marine band and sandstone are part of the Bishopston Mudstone Formation included within the Marros Group, the modern name in South Wales for the assemblage of strata that was traditionally known as the Millstone Grit series.
    A stream gully between the descent path and the falls marks the line of the Henrhyd Fault which is responsible for the falls' presence.
    Read more