Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 1

    Madrid

    January 4, 2020 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 7 °C

    The most common image that you see of Madrid is of a bear standing on its hind legs eating from a tree.
    This is because back in the early days bears once roamed here and ate from these trees which had small strawberry like fruit.

    Madrid is the capital and most populous city of Spain. The city has almost 3.3 million inhabitants and a metropolitan area population of approximately 6.5 million. It is the third-largest city in the European Union (EU), surpassed only by London and Berlin, and its monocentric metropolitan area is the third-largest in the EU, smaller only than those of London and Paris.
    The municipality covers 604.3 km2 (233.3 sq mi). The Madrid urban agglomeration has the third-largest GDP[14] in the European Union and its influence in politics, education, entertainment, environment, media, fashion, science, culture, and the arts all contribute to its status as one of the world's major global cities. Madrid is home to two world-famous football clubs, Real Madrid and Atlético Madrid. Due to its economic output, high standard of living, and market size, Madrid is considered the major financial centre and the leading economic hub of the Iberian Peninsula and of Southern Europe. It hosts the head offices of the vast majority of major Spanish companies, such as Telefónica, IAG or Repsol. Madrid is also the 10th most liveable city in the world according to Monocle magazine, in its 2017 index.
    The Madrid train station is a unique style of building and houses an indoor garden of palms and other plants.
    Getting around Madrid is not so easy as there are few English signs as directions.
    Read more