Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2

    Gothic Quarter

    January 8, 2020 in Spain ⋅ ⛅ 10 °C

    The Gothic Quarter is the centre of the old city of Barcelona. It stretches from La Rambla to Via Laietana, and from the Mediterranean seafront to the Ronda de Sant Pere.
    It is a part of Ciutat Vella district.

    The quarter encompasses the oldest parts of the city of Barcelona, and includes the remains of the city's Roman wall and several notable medieval landmarks. Much of the present-day fabric of the quarter, however, dates to the 19th and early 20th centuries.
    El Call, the medieval Jewish quarter, is located within this area, along with the former Sinagoga Major.

    The Barri Gòtic retains a labyrinthine street plan, with many small streets opening out into squares.
    Most of the quarter is closed to regular traffic although open to service vehicles and taxis.

    The gothic quarter is the oldest part of Barcelona and so far the most beautiful. It is made up of some little laneways that trail around the oldest part of the city.
    There are some lovely little shops in this part of the city and there are parts that remind me of Melbourne.

    We met in Placa Reial and then walked to the first of many cathedrals and basilicas.
    Our guide Miguel was a very good guide and worked on the principle of you pay him what you think he is worth, which both Jen and I love...
    There is a photo of a Gaudi lamppost that he was commissioned to do for the local government which was the last piece he did for them because they did not have a good relationship as a result of that commission.
    We began our walk from this square and worked our way around the various streets and lane ways that make up this part of Barcelona.

    The Gothic quarter contains many old cathedrals and is also the first citadel or walled area of Barcelona as most of the lanes are paved in the traditional manner so they date back to the 16th & 17th century.
    Read more