Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    Sabah & The Orangutans

    July 27, 2022 in Malaysia ⋅ ☀️ 30 °C

    We arrived at Sabah and were transferred to a lovely hotel only a short drive from the Orangutan 🦧 wildlife park.
    The park is 47 square kilometers in size and is the destination for most of the orphaned or rescue animals after they have been rehabilitated.
    The rescue animals go through 5 critical rehab stages before they are re-released in to the wild.
    Each stage prepares them to become more independent and to be able to be strong enough to climb and forage for themselves.
    The facility was very professionally run by a mixture of volunteers and veterinary staff who work with rescue or orphaned orangutans 🦧.
    It is an offense in Malaysia to keep wild animals as pets namely Orangutans and Sun Bears who previous to this decree were able to be kept as house pets.
    It is also worth noting that the COViD virus 🦠 has had a massive impact on the tourist industry here as most of the operating costs of these places are offset by tourist dollars.
    Most of the shots of the Orangutans were taken at a feeding platform at stage 5 of the rehabilitation stage.
    Read more